We just returned from our vacation to the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim California that was from May 16- 21, 2016. Ryan and I share the money we spend on vacation to help people come up with their budgets on vacation. We also shared our May 2015 Walt Disney World vacation spending as well. I think seasoned Disney travelers are accustomed to the prices at Disney, but many first time travelers don’t know what to expect. Hopefully, this will help others with their budget planning.
This vacation was 5 nights in the Anaheim area. The traveling party was 2 adults, our 2 sons (ages 8 and 9 years old), and my nephew (14 years old). Listed here is a rough estimate of the vacation. I tried to track every penny, but I don’t think I was successful. This should be close enough.
We stayed off property at the Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance. We loved the resort, so you will want to check out other posts to come regarding our stay here. This was an effort to save some money, but also having accommodations that fit our family. We wanted the bunk beds and the water area is super nice.
Here we go with the numbers:
- Airfare on Southwest for 5 people from Columbus Ohio (CMH) to Los Angeles (LAX) – $1,949.80
- Disneyland Park Tickets (4-day hoppers for 3 adults and 2 children) – $1,575
- Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance for 5 nights in a standard room – $1,234.35
- World of Color Dessert Party ($79 per person for 5 people) – $395
- GoLansky.com for round-trip transportation from LAX to the hotel – $225 with tips
- Knott’s Berry Farm Tickets (3 adults and 2 children tickets bought with a discount offer) – $209.24
- Pre-flight hotel stay in Columbus with parking for our van – $163.33
- Flightdeck1 Boeing Experience for 2- 30-minute sessions – $178
- Target for groceries in the room – $60
- Goofy’s Kitchen character dinner for 5 – $207.73
- Tortilla Jo’s dinner for 5 – $130.65
- Mimi’s Cafe breakfast for 5 – $76.58
- Flo’s V8 Cafe dinner for 5 – $54.46
- Galactic Grill part lunch and snack for our group – $46.89
- Village Haus lunch for 5 – $45.54
- Misc (Everything else that I didn’t think was interesting enough to break out. Some meals and snacks in the airport and our souvenirs) – $354.82
Total of $6,906.39
I will admit that I feel odd posting this. Almost like I am saying “come judge me for my financial choices”. I do this to help others budget their vacation. I want to add that I was stunned when I put together this information. I never dreamed our vacation would cost this much. I typically think about the $3,500 – $5,000 range for our vacations. This is a time where I admit that not having a laid out budget and tracking the spending as we paid for things left me clueless to the true cost. Plus adding my nephew and the few extra splurges really made an impact in our Disney budget.
I should also mention that we carried drinks into the park each day, so our park meals rarely included drinks. Also, we used our DVC member discount when we could to get 10% off our meals.
Keep an eye out for more posts on the Disneyland fun we had. I will get that information up as soon as possible.
Written by : Kim Slusher
Use the comments to share your questions.
Keep the conversation going over at my Facebook page : Ryan Slusher, Key to the World Travel Facebook